Monday, June 27, 2011

Interview #2

This interview was done on Saturday, June 25, 2011. *Disclaimer* The interviewee did not want to give her last name.

Q: What is your name? Maiden and Marriage (if applicable)
Patricia  Anne

Q: Where were you born?
Tupelo

Q: Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Tupelo

Q: What were your parents names and occupations?
My mother’s name is Ester and she was a surgical tech who is currently retired, and my father was a maintenance tech and his name is Ray.

Q:  Do you have any siblings? Yes or No, names? Yes I have two siblings. I have a older sister named Shanetta and I have a younger sister named Renae.
What was your life like growing up as a black girl in Tupelo, Mississippi? My life growing up as a little girl in Tupelo, I was kinda carefree. A little bit sheltered. Umm and I grew up in a predominantly black community. And I just remember having a lot of friends to grow up with a strong network of black families. And growing up in church. I just remembered my parents taking care of me.

Q: Did you ever encounter racism? Explain?
Yes. I encountered racism when I was in the fourth grade. I had a PE coach who called us little niggers. We went home and told our moms, and that coach got in trouble.

Q: What privileges or setbacks do you feel that you experienced growing up a black female in the South?
As far as privileges are concerned I would just have to say, (whispers setbacks) I would say a setback in resources. You know growing up in a predominantly white high school you really had to really kinda set yourself apart. Cause you already looked on as being ignorant and parvished. I felt as though I had the need to make really really high grades just to be acknowledged. I noticed a lot of the white girls in my high school had the privilege of going to certain camps or conferences because there were favors, and  their parents knew such and such, and they could go to conferences and you really had to be just really work hard just to be acknowledged to be a part of this foundation, this conference this particular group. So I looked at it as a social setback.

Q: What, if anything, do you remember your parents telling you about race? My parents never did teach me about race. My parents taught me the difference between right and wrong. I grew up in a predominately black community with just treatin people right, and a strong religious faith to where it was until I got in high school I knew that there was racism and civil rights. Because I remember my English teacher had showed this video on the civil rights movement. I was just kinda dumbfounded. So my parents umm taught me that you know you’re just Patricia you’re not Patricia that is the black girl. You’re just Patricia.   

Q: What did your parents tell you or instill in you regarding being a woman, specifically a black woman? That you will just have to work hard. Don’t depend on a man to umm… The age that my mom grew up in is that you know once you got married you were successful. What I was taught as a black woman is that you need to be independent. And kinda be able to take care of yourself. And carry yourself like a lady. Protect your name. Don’t you know mess it up.  

Q: Did you attend school? Yes or No? 
Yes. 

Q: What was it like in school for you as a black female?
As a black female it was hard for me. I remember running for reporter for the student council. I was already editor of the high school newspaper, and I was an involved cheerleader. And on the student council already, I could just tell I was really trying to set myself apart, and I ran against this girl name Lori. She was this popular girl who was really skinny. I had campaigned maybe signs, made a campaign speech, and made a video. Maybe three days before the voting time, she decided to run, after I had been campaigned for two weeks. I remember she had made maybe three signs, and she won because she was white.

Q: Did you graduate and attend college? [Ask questions here to get more info regarding education ect.]
Yes. University of Mississippi, Public Relations.

Q: Did you get married?  To who?  When?  [Ask about the circumstances]
No I didn't.

Q: Did you have any children? Yes or No? How many?  Why?  Was this a choice or just happened?  If no children, you could ask them why they chose not to or was it medical reasons.
No I don’t.

Q: What it was like living as a black woman?
I think what it is to live like a black women is I find myself thinking like that little girl. Making myself stand apart. And in today’s society, many people judge you on what you have, and the way you look. So I really make sure I carry myself in a refined way, because I don’t want to be stereotyped as ignorant and ghetto. So, and I always watch the way I speak around people because I don’t want to be classified as ignorant. Umm you just really gotta just show that you’re educated, and you have some sense. And that you know you have a presentable presentation about yourself.

Q:  What are your relationships like with other women?  Specifically ask about white and black women.
As far as black women go, I have a strong network of sistahs in all ages. I look at it as a way we try to empower each other. There’s something you’re weak in or something that you’re strong in, you should be able to help me out. Because you didn’t have all those resources, I was limited to those resources, and I myself and my friends tell me that I am a very resourceful person. Because I am always trying to make sure I direct them in you know in this direction or if you need to know about this. I feel like I am a natural informant because of the way of the limitations I faced in the way I was raised. As far as white women are concerned, Uhh I feel like I have a network of you know a network of Caucasian that I do talk to. Who just don’t look at me as black, they just look at me as Patricia. And that makes me feel comfortable. And I just look at them as Dotty or Jessica, I don’t look at them as a white person. I just look at them as a person who can deposit some positive things in my life. And I feel like I have deposited some positive things in their life. I can see that they have been a little more resourceful than I have; it is what it is.    

Q:  Would they consider themselves friends with white women?  Or do they have friends that are of another race?
I’m friends with white women. Umm I don’t have a problem with people of the opposite race.  Cause at the end of the day if you’re a good person you’re a good person. You can be a bad person and be black. You can be a bad person and be white. You can be a bad person and be Native American, but as long as you’re a good person, and our spirits connect, I’m going to hang out with you.

Q:  What type of relationship do you have with black men?
The type of relationships that I have with black men are you know. I just look at them as my older brothers. I feel like I feel myself being like a natural encourager. When I do meet black men, I find myself like encouraging them and if they do something positive. You know I’m just a naturally positive person. I’m like you know I’m proud of you, so I find myself being a naturally positive encourager of black men, because I know, they just have a lot of limitations denied their own right. And they just probably have to work 10 times harder, if not harder, to be presumed as this provider of you know as a successful black man. So if I could say a kind world to motivate them to their dream then I’ll do it.  

Q: What do you think is the role of both black men and women in relationships and inside of the home should be? [Here, you can ask specific questions regarding marriage and the roles of both men and women inside of marriage]
Inside of the home I think like I said you know I grew up with a strong spiritual faith. And so, I do believe because I grew up in a two parent household that the man should be the head of the household, but I also kinda look at it as a partnership. I don’t believe that one person…the woman should cook all the time. And that he should mow the lawn, but I do think he should be the leader of the home, and the protector of the home. And the provider of the home. In some kind of way. Not just in economically, but just provide the ultimate wisdom. Just say so in the direction of how the family should go.  

Q: What do you think about people dating outside of their race?  Black men marrying white women and black women marrying white men?
Honestly, I really don’t have a problem with it, if… I had a friend she dated a white guy and I have dated a white guy before. And she dated a white guy because they just clicked and had a connection. But I do have a problem when I see black men dating white women just because they want to date white women only because they have a problem with black women. They have a stereotype. I have cousins who have married and dated outside of their race, and we welcomed them in. He fell in love with her because he just fell in love with her not because she was just white.

Q: What issues do you think most affect black Americans today?
Black Americans? I think just playing the victim. I just can’t do this because I’m black. I think what we fail to do is look at ourselves as being a person. A person who happens to be black. Don’t define yourself as being black. I’m Patricia the black girl. What does that mean? You know… It doesn’t matter. I think as long as you are good person, you educate yourself well that’s all that matters. Black people just need to educate themselves more.

Q: What issues do you think affect black women today?
I think there is a competition with black women. Trying to look beautiful constantly trying to have this European look cause I find myself trying to find this look. As oppose to you know, being accepted. Being accepted. And I think one problem that a black woman have is trying to be the strong black woman. And when being the strong black woman, you put this wall up and you don’t allow yourself to receive the resources that people direct you because you don’t want to show a vulnerable side, because you have this strong black woman wall that you don’t want anyone to penetrate – even your own race.

Q: So do you think it is harder for black men or black women in today’s society?
I think it depends on what area. In the area of education it seems like it is easier for black women because they have a little bit more resources. I can see a black woman getting a job. I can see a black woman being introduced to a conference or an organization before man.


Q: Do you think, there is a need for a woman’s movement needed to uplift women?
I think there are already enough movements and organizations. I think that the people who have arrived and been successful need to go back and grab and embrace younger females who are in development. I think that is what needs to happen. I think it needs to be a generational merging. A generation of mentors.

Thank you so much, Miss Patricia! 

1 comment: